Monday, May 24, 2010

Get Better Box for Lily

If you're a regular reader, you'll have picked up on the fact that I'm very close with my friend Heather (Hi, Heather!) and her family, including kids (my "nieces and nephew" Mariah, Anthony, and Lily).  Heather and I like to bake...


Their whole family does the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk with us every year...


And you've seen me help throw Lily's first and second birthday parties...


Both of Heather and I's families live on the other side of the state - so we kind of act as each others' surrogate, local, families... and we enjoy spending lots of time together!

If you've been reading this blog for awhile, you may remember that Mariah, Heather's eldest, had surgery on her wrist last February, and that I made her a Get Better Box...


The story behind get better boxes goes something like this...

When I was a child, I was an avid reader. One of my favorite anthologies was the “My Naughty Little Sister” collection by Dorothy Edwards. Yes, she was an English author, and these books are an “English thing” so I’m not sure if any of you will have even heard of them.

Anyway, there was one particular story about a “Get Better Box.” The little girl in the story was sick, and all of the adults in her life brought her a little something to make her feel better, which was all kept in her “Get Better Box.”

My Mum's Mum (my Grandma) kept a "Magic Box" for my Mum when she was sick as a child, and a combination of that box and the "Get Better Box" story inspired MY Mum to keep get better boxes for my brother and I when we were kids.  Whenever we got sick, Mum pulled out the “Get Better Box” filled with new coloring books and crayons, games, puzzles, etc... they were just little things, but the box and its contents always helped me feel better.

Mariah loved the Get Better Box I made her - and it was lots of fun to put together.  Having been through a couple of minor hospital stays as a kid and plenty of surgeries as a high school and college student, I can sympathize with how crappy even a minor illness can make you feel as a kid (and as adults too, right?!).  I was happy to do it!

Now we've learned that little Lily (Heather's just-turned-two-year-old) will be having surgery on June 2nd.  Turns out she was born without tear ducts!  Poor baby!  I think it's obvious that I'm going to make her a Get Better Box as well!  : )  I've already purchased a couple of things and will of course be making some hand-made goodies as well, which I'll share with you in the next week or so.
Here's where you come in...

I'm calling on my blogging friends to help make this Get Better box extra special.  Several of you contributed some lovely handmade things to Mariah's box last year, and I would be so honored if you'd consider crafting some love for Lily's box as well.  Won't you help me?

If you'd like to participate, drop me an e-mail and I will send you my mailing address.  You can send something homemade, or store bought, or even a simple card if you'd like.  Any small items to help a little one feel better as she recoups from surgery would be PERFECT!  Only catch is we're on a little bit of a time constraint - I will need all Get Better Box items by Tuesday June 1.

Thanks in advance for your help!  : )

4 comments:

Maiden Jane said...

What a sweet idea! I would love to help, but will see if I can pull something together due to son's high school graduation and party this week.

Meg@MegaCrafty said...

Poor baby. So sweet of you to put a box together for her!

AVinNYC said...

Oh what fun- I'm going to try and remember this for someday!

Gabrielle @ i.craft said...

How cool! I love your cake!