Monday, October 19, 2009

Fall Comfort Food

I don't know about you, but the one thing I looooove about the weather getting cooler is all of the delicious soups, stews, casseroles, chili's and more. I wanted to share with you a few recent yummy recipes that I have come across one way or another - and they are all super simple!

Mum's Shepherd's Pie
I've been eating this since I was a little girl and now I love to make the English staple for Travis and I.


Ingredients: Potatoes - six or so good sized, 1 large onion, 2lbs ground beef, 2 packages of brown gravy mix

Directions: Brown beef in a pan over medium heat, add onions and let them cook. Add gravy mix and about a cup of water. Put meat mixture in the bottom of a casserole dish. Meanwhile, boil and mash potatoes. Layer potatoes on top of meat mixture and bake at 350 until browned on top.


Travis' Chili
Chili is such a great easy dinner because you can add a little of whatever you have on hand.


Ingredients: 1.5lb ground beef, Garlic to taste, 1 jalapeno pepper, x2 cans diced mexican tomatoes, 1 can corn kernels, x2 cans chili beans, 1 package of chili seasoning, 1 large onion and... chocolate!

Directions: Saute onions and garlic, add ground beef and brown. Finely dice jalapeno and add. Combine with all of the canned vegetables and let simmer. Add chili seasoning and chocolate. Travis refuses to tell me how much chocolate... but I'd guess a couple of squares. Add chocolate to taste! Simmer everything to combine and then enjoy.


And finally, my dear friend over at Steinway Street shared a delicious meatloaf recipe lately. Head over HERE to check it out.

What are YOUR favorite fall comfort foods? Please share!

No comments: