Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Cake Class Part 1

In an effort to make our cupcakes *that much better* Heather and I enrolled in a Wilton Cake Decorating Class at our local Hobby Lobby. It's four, two-hour classes. Last week was the first class but I had a prior engagement, so Heather represented both of us. It was essentially just talking about materials and supplies so I didn't miss much.

For yesterday's class (class two of four) we had to bring a frosted, decorated cake plus three 1 cup batches of different consistency frosting's with us, ready to work with in class.

Let's be clear. Heather and I bake cupcakes from scratch all the time - but baking and assembling a layered cake? Boy, that's a whole other story.

If we were smart, we would have baked on Monday and frosted on Tuesday...

We're not smart... : )

I won't go into too much of the disastrous cake baking and frosting that took place ALL DAY yesterday but the highlights included: collapsed cakes, underdone cakes, wobbly cakes, and way too thick frosting.

Yikes!

We eventually ended up with two blue cakes. Sort of. As you can see, my cake was incredibly lopsided, and because I'd sandwiched the wrong halves together and we made a really crumbly cake, there were cake crumbs mixed in with the frosting all over the place.


Sigh...

I almost had a temper tantrum and boycotted us going to class. Seriously! I'm a bit of a perfectionist and was NOT happy with our results...

Anyhoo, lucky for us Heather is much more level headed and we made to class we all of our supplies, and our cakes in one piece.

Class was SUCH FUN!

We worked primarily with gels and star tips, although we did some writing stuff as well.




And we got to decorate our cake using a transfer design technique.



Here we are with our finished products!


If you ignore the actual cake on concentrate on the decoration - it's really pretty sweet looking!

And the best part? The instructor said we can bring cupcakes next week! PHEW! : )

2 comments:

AVinNYC said...

How fun! I tok a cake decorating class last year at the culinary institute... I learned a lot, but my first cake was FOR SURE a work in progress! :) Your cake looks SO great!!

Natasha said...

How fun! I would love to take a class like that, your cake came out great! Btw, I posted about our gross doggie, I hope your lab is as bad as our golden, doggie misery loves company!