Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sausage, lentil, and kale soup

Talk about fall/winter soup-y yumminess!

This recipe, a la Martha Stewart Everyday Food (I searched and searched for the recipe online to link to here with no avail... the recipe below is typed directly from EVERYDAY FOOD magazine) was DELICIOUS!

If you keep up with me at all - you know that my hubby is the cook in this family - and he prepared this delicious soup tonight. The smells in the house were out of this world!

Ingredients:
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
8oz sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1/2 cup dried lentils
6 cups chicken broth
1 bunch kale, torn into bite size pieces (stems removed)
coarse salt and ground pepper
2 tsp red-wine vinegar

1. In a large dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high, Add sausage and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until golden brown, about five minutes. Add celery and onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add lentils, broth, and 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a rapid simmer, partially cover, and cook until lentils and vegetables are tender, 25 minutes.


2. Add kale and season with salt. Return soup to a rapid simmer, cover, and cook until kale wilts, about 5 minutes. Remove soup from heat, stir in vinegar, and season with salt and pepper.


I'm so sorry for my absence this past week. There's been so much school, consulting, taking care of animals (my crazy dog, our cats, and some foster kittens!) and more that I've had ZERO time to craft and I'm just ITCHING to get down to the studio to work on projects.

I don't know about you - but I have a million holiday projects to get going on. I'll be back soon with a smattering of gift ideas...

Until then... what are YOU working on for the holidays? Do share! : )

1 comment: