Monday, March 1, 2010

March Cupkins - St. Patrick's Day!

It's the first Monday of the month!  Welcome to the March edition of CUPKINS, a collaboration between Meg at Mega•Crafty and I.  Each month, Meg shares a muffin recipe and I share a cupcake recipe with the same theme.  This month's theme is St. Patrick's Day!

 

Double Chocolate Irish Creme Cupcakes

For this recipe, I started with Martha's one-bowl chocolate cupcake recipe and gave it my own twist to combine two of my favorite things... chocolate and irish creme!


Cupcake Ingredients:  1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup cocoa powder, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1 1/2 tsp baking soda, 3/4 tsp baking powder, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 2 eggs, 3/4 cup buttermilk, 3 tbsp vegetable oil, 1 tsp vanilla, 3/4 cup warm water

Frosting Ingredients:  2 oz semi-sweet chocolate, 1 stick butter, 16 oz powdered sugar, 3/4 cup irish creme, 1/2 cup cocoa powder

How To:  Make One-Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes per Martha's recipe... because she's sweet (you could use any chocolate cupcake recipe... but I like this one because it's extra dark and moist)

Be warned that the batter when ready to pour into liners is very wet... a lot sloppier than most cupcake batters.  Don't be scared... trust Martha!

Once cupcakes are cooled, it's time for frosting fun!

Combine the chocolate and butter in a small saucepan over low heat until melted - add the cocoa and stir until smooth. 

Transfer the chocolate mix into your mixer - and whisk in powedered sugar (gradually) and irish creme.  Add a little more of one or the other if you want your frosting a little more or less moist.  I like a pretty sturdy frosting - easier to pipe!

Pipe some of that deliciousness on to your cupcakes, and garnish with some green sprinkles.  Festive!


Now, hop on over to Meg's by clicking on the Cupkins logo below, and check out her Guinness Spiced Muffins!


And for more delicious Cupkins recipes... click on the Cupkins logo in the sidebar to your right! ---------------------->

 

7 comments:

Oklahoma Granny said...

Oh, my goodness. How YUMMY the cupcakes look.

Maiden Jane said...

So yummy looking! Thanks!

angelina la dawn said...

yummy yummy yummy. send me one!

Caroline said...

These are gorgeous! I love how the icing is swirled!!

Gabrielle @ i.craft said...

really nice, i bet they taste wonderful!! I used my 10 year old stampin up stamps this morning for a project over at French Picnic, I can't believe it's been ten years!

AVinNYC said...

Mmmm... those look DELISH!

M.E. Greene said...

Guinness will forever make me think of Paris. We sat at a little pub near the Marais during the anniversary week of Guinness, so they had a big to-do about it and the Guinness girls brought freebies around to all the tables. Ah, Paris. :) I never would have thought to put Guinness and cupcakes in the same sentence!