Thursday, July 15, 2010

Cupcakes with Kids

Heather and I were invited to the YMCA (where both our husbands work - and where both of us have worked in the past) to work with a group of children, teaching them how to make cupcakes.  The seven school-age kids helped us put ingredients into the mixer, make and color the frosting, and then the real fun started when we showed them how to pipe.



We made more than 100 mini cupcakes - and the kids frosted every single!  Look how great they turned out!






I always enjoy baking - and working with children - but what was especially cool about this experience was that it drove home to me how important it is to cook and bake with your kids.  It's an easy and fun task to do together, it teaches math and science skills paired with creativity, and it can be a wonderful platform for lessons in nutrition (although let's be honest - cupcake baking isn't ideal for that message!) 

Cooking is an activity the entire family can do together - and I'm pleased to report that all seven of the kids we worked with had personal stories about baking or cooking with mom, dad, grandma, aunts, uncles, etc.  So neat to hear about great family memories made in the kitchen!

5 comments:

Maiden Jane said...

What a fun and colorful time! You are right, cooking with kids is a great activity to do together. I still try to snatch time together with my kids.

LollyChops said...

What a neat project! I bet that was a lot of fun for you and the kids!

AVinNYC said...

Oh my gosh- what fun!!

Linda said...

I want to have fun too. what a great group of kids...How very brave and good hearted of you.

Gabrielle @ i.craft said...

This is really cool, I think you may be the most fun person on the planet!!