Monday, June 1, 2009

Fourth of July Cupcakes: Prototypes


Heather and I got together for a little baking fun this weekend while the boys worked diligently on putting up a new fence in our backyard.

Inspired by some fancy patriotic sprinkles I had found last week, we decided to prototype some 4th of July cupcakes.

We used a Betty Crocker white cake recipe divided into a cupcake pan. It made for nice, dense, cupcakes - which complemented the sweet frosting (courtesy of Saucy's Sprinkles) really well.


Betty Crocker White Cake Recipe:

Ingredients

1 cup white sugar


1/2 cup butter


2 eggs


2 tsp vanilla extract


1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour


1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder


1/2 cup milk


Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


Grease and flour a 9x9 inch pan or line a muffin pan with paper liners.


In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter.


Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.


Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well.


Stir in the milk until batter is smooth.


Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.


We used the same concept as Saucy's Sprinkles' Superkid Cupcakes which we made for Lily's Birthday Party to make red, white, and blue cupcakes!


Then I experimented with icing. Only problem was that the tips and coupler I bought didn't match - so I couldn't use them! I winged it and used the bag only... (can you tell I know NOTHING about this!)



Thank goodness for sprinkles - they totally cover up imperfections!



Looks like Heather and I need to get ourselves to a cake icing class to hone our skills. Not bad for a first effort though, and we still have a month until July 4th!

3 comments:

Saucy said...

They really look nice, your blue and red cake look true blue and red without being browned too much, and that is a real trick! I'm going to attempt this same combo on the weekend for my nephew's first birthday... we're having a barber shop theme! I will post them.

Your frosting turned out well without a coupler and ring... the nice things about cupcakes: oh so forgiving!

RootsAndWingsCo said...

Love your cupcakes. My Mom LOVES 4th of July, so anything 4th of July just shouts at me! I'll have to try these.

Rebecca
RootsAndWingsCo.blogspot.com

Dot said...

those look really yummy!