Monday, July 20, 2009

Fudgy Chocolate Layer Cake


Seems like I'm ALWAYS wanting chocolate cake for dessert - no matter where we go for dinner. So when I got the urge to bake this weekend... it made perfect sense that I made one! In fact, I see this as the beginning of a quest - a quest to find the perfect chocolate cake recipe!

I pulled this recipe out of a "Great American Home Baking" binder that I'm honestly not sure where or when I got. I think maybe Mum gifted it to me at some point.

Anyhoo... here's the recipe...

Makes 12 servings

Ingredients:

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup less 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

For the frosting...

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
3 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350. Line bottoms of two 9-inch round cake pans with waxed paper. Grease paper and sides of pans. Dust with flour.

2. Mix flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, beat butter, granulated sugar, and brown suar at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla.

3. At low speed, alternately beat flour mixture and buttermilk into butter mixture just until blended. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans.

4. Bake cakes until a toothpick comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Turn out onto racks. Remove paper. Turn layers top-side up and cool completely.

5. To prepare frosting, beat butter and confectioner's sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add melted chocolate and vanilla; continue beating until shiny and smooth.

6. Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate; spread with frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread frosting on top and sides of cake. Let cake stand for at least 30 minutes before sprinkling with chocolate shavings and slicing.


The cake itself was yummy - moist but not too moist, with good flavor. The frosting was okay - I really needed a double batch to cover everything will and get a nice middle layer. I'd definitely do a double batch next time.

Also, I'd consider using sweetened chocolate next time to make the frosting even more flavorful.

I've never made a cake from scratch before - other than cupcakes. Not bad for a first attempt! Anyone have a favorite chocolate cake recipe they'd like to share?

2 comments:

Joanne said...

It's how it tastes that is important! :)

Anonymous said...

I've made the cake twice and it was a hit each time. I also melt two squares of semi-sweet chocolate with some of the butter and fold it into the granulated sugar before blending it with the other wet ingredients. I also substitute buttermilk with soured coffee cream or half and half. I find it sweet enough without the frosting.